Tuesday, March 01, 2011

It has been way too long,

I've been doing a lot of working, a good deal of writing, more circus than I thought possible a month ago, and some other things besides. And I'm ridiculously out-of-practice on writing drabbles, or in fact anything shorter than about 80,000 words. So for the next month I'm going to do my damnedest to write and post one a day. We'll see how I do.

Today's, inspired by the word-of-the-day "Cosset", is rushed and imperfect, but a start nonetheless.

There were two nurses who were Clara’s companions, one short and one tall. They both waddled up to the bed in airtight bunny suits with plastic smiles, their breath fogging up their face shields. The touch of Kevlar was the only approximation of a hug that Clara knew, body heat barely seeping through three layers. No one else came into the room with her; they just passed by outside, tapping on the glass and smiling with trembling lips. But no one bothered to tell Clara who all the security was for.

She needed to break the glass to find out.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Ayn said...

Yaaay! Good luck!