Thursday, March 03, 2011

Day 3: Wunderkind

The word of the day is wunderkind, and I have this to say:

Good choice for the first day of Stanford interviews. They're all so... young and hopeful and bright. And it's only a matter of time until they turn into bitter, jaded graduate students like the rest of us. It's almost like the "word of the day" people have cameras up spying on me. Or maybe I'm just self-centered enough that I can take a random word and apply it to my life.

Everything in Sara’s life led up to her acceptance to Harvard. It was just after her fifteenth birthday, and if she couldn’t smile through the pain in her braces, her mother was gleeful enough for the both of them. “This will show your good-for-nothing father,” mom said, waving the acceptance pamphlet. “He never wanted a girl. Said they couldn’t understand math, so he couldn’t understand them.”

Sara was used to the rants. She knew her father loved her, in his own way. Just not the same way her mother did. “But mom,” she whispered. “I wanted to go to MIT.”

No comments: