Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Day 8: Puckish

I'm going for eerie, and vaguely dark. Hopefully it works, and maintains some semblance of subtlety.

He came out of the shadows.

Later, you would remember how he had never quite looked trustworthy, how the hairs on the back of your neck had prickled up to tell you something was wrong about him. You would insist that you had never trusted him, not really, not the way you trusted your brother or your best friend. That part of you knew.

But all that would be later, after the – there was no better word for it – seduction, and the betrayal, and the inevitable collapse. After everything.

Right now, he came out of the shadows, and he smiled.

Also, late lunch and late update mean that when I first read the word of the day I decided that I would rather work with "peckish" than "puckish". I'm glad I just ate a burrito and came back to it instead.

No comments: