Friday, September 02, 2011

Drabble: Darkle

Let me first say that really, there shouldn't be a word that means "darken" and rhymes with "sparkle". But there is. Because life is just that wonderful. And, secondly, another drabble that sounds like the introduction to a story rather than something that stands on its own. I'm working on it. I feel like I could have pared the beginning down even more, but that it would lose any voice it had, and that wouldn't be as good. This is at least better, because it gets to the punchline, kinda. Maybe.

The pool shone darkly in the moonlight. Caitlynn dipped a toe in experimentally, half expecting it to be solid as glass, or thick as molasses. It wasn’t. The ripples shivered away from her foot, blotting out the image of the moon, and then they were subsumed as she waded in. She leaned back and closed her eyes, floating. Peaceful. She didn’t notice clouds washing in, until the stars were gone and the moon was a faint light patch. The pool had turned velvety-black. It clung to her skin. 
She dried herself with a towel, but the shadow wouldn’t come off. 

(EDIT: I totally thought that setting the "Published on" time for sometime, like, six hours from now would hold this for six hours. No such luck. Either I'll figure out a way to do that or I'll just know in my heart that I'm one ahead on drabbles for the month.)

No comments: