Monday, September 22, 2008

A Bad Time

Inspired by the word "flak"
“It’s a bad time to be a science writer,” Stephanie said, and everyone agreed, shouting their outrage to drown the pounding on the doors of the barricaded conference hall.

“Journalism is dying with the newspaper,” she proclaimed. “And we’ve been deemed expendable. Things will only get worse.” There was a round of grumbling assent. “The outlook is dark: no new jobs, massive lay-offs, and lack of public interest.”

Keegan snickered from the back of the room. “That’s a gloomy prediction. But you’ve left out the mob with torches and pitchforks.”

At least, in the end, they made the front page.
Does it count as procrastination if technically I have nothing to do until five?

After lunch I'll try to find the mythical post-doc I'll be working with on my first rotation. Maybe he or she will give me a paper to read. That would be distressingly like productivity, since Julie seemed to think I couldn't go in to lab until tomorrow, earliest.

No comments: