Sunday, November 23, 2008

Turkey Week

There is a turkey in my refrigerator. Rightly, not a whole turkey. A whole turkey would neither have fit on my bicycle nor in my miniscule oven. A significant portion of a turkey, however, with some light meat and some dark meat. Newsflash to Elizabeth: Turkeys are surprisingly heavy. As in, I was unprepared for the fact that although I tried to balance my bicycle with potatoes, apples, and other produce, it was (unfortunately) impossible. My bike was still dangerously tippy until I worked up the momentum to stabilize it (and even then). Slowing down was exciting. Honestly, had I sat and thought about it for very long, I would have realized that frozen meat was going to be denser than brussels sprouts. But I didn't. Fortunately, I got home safely, and so did the turkey, and now it is sitting in my refrigerator thawing, and I am dreading going back to the grocery store tomorrow after work to get the apple juice (and other things) I forgot. It is not the end of the world that I forgot them; they would not have fit on my bicycle anyway.

Also, the closer it comes the more I realize that I have no idea what the hell I am doing. It will, potentially, be an exciting Thanksgiving. At least there will only be four other people to witness my crazed humiliation.

4 comments:

Ayn said...

I am doing a turkey breast on the bone + some turkey thighs; I imagine this is similar to what you have. This is the recipe I'm using: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=980CE0DC1E31F93BA25752C1A96E958260

Will prolly have to adjust some since dark meat takes longer to cook than white.

Alex said...

isn't bicycle balancing fun?!

Ed said...

Here's the food tv one with apple juice:
Ingredients
2 cups apple cider, plus 2 tablespoons
1/4 cup salt, plus more for turkey
3 to 5 sprigs thyme
3 sprigs rosemary plus 1 teaspoon chopped
1 (3 3/4-pound) boneless turkey breast with skin
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for turkey
Freshly ground black pepper
1 (10-ounce) bag frozen peeled and sliced peaches, chopped
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Directions
In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups apple cider, salt, thyme and rosemary. Add turkey breast and enough water to cover the bird. Cover and let brine in the refrigerator 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Then it goes on to a peach glaze, which just sounded way too sweet. If you really need to, you can see it here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sunny-anderson/roasted-turkey-breast-with-peach-rosemary-glaze-recipe/index.html

Ayn said...

How did it turn out?