Monday, October 01, 2007

While working on a problem set...

I happened upon this monthly blog: http://ca.expasy.org/spotlight/snapshot. They talk about one protein each month. Some of them are obtuse, like the cupidin article (their article is a poem; the protein is also called Homer2 -- it is involved in neuronal signalling and cocaine sensitivity and apparently its deletion in mice makes them act like cocaine addicted rats. I think that the researchers would have compared to cocaine addicted mice except maybe we don't have those to study. Go figure). I still don't know why they called it cupidin. Some of their articles are also fictional -- such as the lamborghinin one; I really wanted there to actually be a protein named lamborghinin -- which is also unfortunate. But mostly the articles are pretty good. And now I am full of useless information about several random proteins!

Hooray!

No comments: