Monday, October 26, 2009

Lightning Bug Costume

Below: Pictures of how the lightning bug costume turned out! I believe there are more (or will be more shortly) on Facebook. In particular, pictures of me making my funny "Why are you taking a picture of me?" face. And other funny faces. Because... yeah.

First, one with the lights on, so you can see the antennae and the green sparkly petticoat:



And then one with the lights off so you can see the actual cool part; the glowing hem:


At the dance on Saturday, the lights were dimmer, so the hem showed up better, and people picked up on it a lot faster. On Friday, the lights were fairly bright, so people kept asking me why I had a battery pack on my hip. Also, on Saturday, there was a toddler dressed as a witch (most adorable witch ever) who was absolutely fascinated by the fact that my skirt lit up -- in part I think because the hem was at eye-level for her. So periodically I would go to move and she would be tugging at my skirt, staring. It was 1/2 adorable and 1/2 "Oh no, one of these times I'm going to step on her and her parents will be furious."

On a side note, I'm debating whether I should participate in Nanowrimo as usual or make a new costume in November instead. I don't think I can do both, simply for lack of time.

On another side note, my antibodies came in today so I started experiments! Woo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I like the costume.

Also, that you get to say things like "My antibodies came in today."

Ryo Chijiiwa said...

Shiny! Are you using EL wire?

Elizabeth said...

I am indeed using EL wire. It's pretty fantastic.

Ayn said...

So cute and clever! Good work. =)

Plus you are dancing; how could I not be proud. =)